I sure missed you (oh, and you too, Reader #2). 🙂 I got a little bored with blogging for a second there. Sorry about that. That doesn’t mean life got boring. Nope – not at all. There’s been apple festivaling, rock sliding, dog hiking, graduate school researching, bike riding and lots of baking!
I’m not sure if ya’ll know, but the approach of fall in the mountains means one thing. And one thing only, and it has nothing to do with foliage. Fall in the mountains means APPLES. Beautiful, crisp, sweet, juicy, lovely little fruits of delight. I’m up to my eyeballs in apples right now, and I’m ok with that. So far I’ve made: Apple muffins, apple crumble (recipe below) and grilled cheese with thinly sliced apples – yummay. All of which were delicious, but my heavens… apple crumble, you stole my heart. I’m normally a hardcore chocolate gal, but this apple crumble takes the chocolate cake any day. Topped with a little vanilla bean ice cream (it must be vanilla bean, not just “vanilla”), and you’ve bliss.
And for all you kind folks… here is the recipe (I just used what I had around for this recipe, but it seemed to work pretty well, next time I’d probably add nuts to the crumble and maybe raisins to the apple mixture):
“Let’s wing it!” Apple Crumble
- 1/2 cup flour ( I used whole wheat, you can use AP)
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 heaping tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 6 tbl cold butter
- About 5 cups peeled, chopped apples (I used 4 very large apples to make 5 cups)
- 3 tbl sugar
- 1/2 tbl lemon zest
- Juice of half a lemon
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- For the crumble: In a bowl combine, flour, sugars, oats, cinnamon, nutmeg and cut in butter until evenly distributed and… well, crumbly. Set aside.
- For the apples, add the sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice and mix. Put the apples in the bottom of a 8×8 greased baking dish. Spread crumble on top.
- Bake for about 30 – 40 mins in a preheated oven. (I baked mine for 35 minutes).
- Top with ice cream while still warm. Clean plate.
Happy apple eatin to ya!