I recently discovered this stuff called “Maca” powder. I found it at my home away from home. What is maca you ask? Well, let me tell you — maca comes from the maca plant – it’s actually the root of the plant itself. It’s commonly refered to as the “Incan Superfood.”
These are some of the health benefits of maca root:
- Rebuilds immune system
- Increases stamina and endurance
- Combats fatique
- Boosts labido <insert 12 yr old snicker here>
- Nourishes the endoctrine system (responsible for regulating hormones)
- More energy in general
- Maca contains amin acids as well as some fatty acids
I’ve been putting about a teaspoon or two in my cereal in the morning and whenever I eat yogurt, I’ll put some in there as well. You can also use it in baked goods, oatmeal and especially smoothies or shakes. It tastes sort of like malt or something. I can’t really describe it, but it’s not bad, but it’s not necessarily tasty either -sort of like protein powder.
I’ve read it’s best to use it in small doses, especially at first. Otherwise it can make you shakey or give you that “wired” feeling.
What I’ve noticed from consuming a little maca every day:
- I have more energy
- I feel “cleaner” and more lively
- I’m not so sure bout the libido stuff yet <more snickers>
- I seem to have more endurance when I run or bike (seriously!)
- My skin seems clearer (?)
These changes aren’t huge, but I can tell a difference by really listening to my body. I’m not 100% sure if the clear skin thing is entirely due to my consumption of maca – but it might have something do with it.
Have you tried maca yet? I would definitely recommend it if you’re looking for a good natural energy booster. So go get your maca on, yo!